Werner Herzog (born September 5, 1942) is a German film director, screenwriter, author, actor, and opera director. Herzog is a figure of the New German Cinema. His films often feature ambitious protagonists with impossible dreams, people with unique talents in obscure fields, or individuals who are in conflict with nature.
Werner Herzog made his first film in 1961 at the age of 19. Since then he has produced, written, and directed more than sixty feature films and documentaries, such as Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972), Heart of Glass (1976), Nosferatu the Vampyre (1978), Fitzcarraldo (1982), Lessons of Darkness (1992), Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997), My Best Fiend (1999), about his shaky relationship with actor Klaus Kinski; Invincible (2000), Grizzly Man (2005), Encounters at the End of the World (2007), Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009), with Nicolas Cage; and Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010). He has published more than a dozen books of prose, and directed as many operas.
French filmmaker François Truffaut once called Herzog “the most important film director alive.” American film critic Roger Ebert said that Herzog “has never created a single film that is compromised, shameful, made for pragmatic reasons, or uninteresting. Even his failures are spectacular.” He was named one of the world’s 100 most influential people by Time magazine in 2009.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Herakles (1962) – short
- Game in the Sand (1964) – short
- The Unprecedented Defense of the Fortress Deutschkreuz (1967) – short
- Last Words (1968) – short
- Signs of Life (1968)
- Precautions Against Fanatics (1969) – short
- Even Dwarves Started Small (1970)
- Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
- The Enigma of Kasper Hauser (1974)
- Heart of Glass (1976)
- No One Will Play with Me (1976) – short
- Stroszek (1977)
- Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
- Woyzeck (1979)
- Fitzcarraldo (1982)
- Where Green Ants Dream (1984)
- Cobra Verde (1987)
- Les Gaulois (1988) – short
- Scream of Stone (1991)
- Invincible (2001)
- The Wild Blue Yonder (2005)
- Rescue Dawn (2006)
- Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)
- My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? (2009)
- Queen of the Desert (2015)
- Salt and Fire (2016)
- Family Romance, LLC. (2019)