Tobias Vincent Maguire (born June 27, 1975) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his role as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Sam Raimi‘s Spider-Man trilogy (2002–2007), collectively with Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Cliff Robertson, Rosemary Harris, J.K. Simmons, Elizabeth Banks, Alfred Molina, Thomas Haden Church, Topher Grace, Bryce Dallas Howard, James Cromwell, and Bruce Campbell.
Films in the early 1990s include This Boy’s Life (1993), with Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, Ellen Barkin, Chris Cooper, Carla Gugino, and Eliza Dushku; Revenge of the Red Baron (1994), with Mickey Rooney, Laraine Newman, and Cliff De Young; S.F.W. (1994), with Stephen Dorff, Reese Witherspoon, Jake Busey, and Joey Lauren Adams; Healer (1994), with Tyrone Power Jr., David McCallum, Turhan Bey, and DeLane Matthews; and Griffin Dunne’s short Duke of Groove (1995), with Kate Capshaw, Kiefer Sutherland, and Uma Thurman.
Films in the mid to late 1990s include Ang Lee’s The Ice Storm (1997), with Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Christina Ricci, Elijah Wood, Katie Holmes, Glenn Fitzgerald, Jamey Sheridan, and Sigourney Weaver; Deconstructing Harry (1997), with Woody Allen (who also directed), Caroline Aaron, Kirstie Alley, Bob Balaban, Richard Benjamin, Eric Bogosian, Billy Crystal, Judy Davis, Hazelle Goodman, Mariel Hemingway, Amy Irving, Julie Kavner, Eric Lloyd, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Demi Moore, Elisabeth Shue, Stanley Tucci, and Robin Williams; Joyride (1997), with Amy Hathaway, Wilson Cruz, and Adam West; Terry Gilliam’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998), with Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro; Gary Ross’s Pleasantville (1998), with Witherspoon, Jeff Daniels, Allen, William H. Macy, J.T. Walsh, Don Knotts, Paul Walker, Marley Shelton, and Jane Kaczmarek; Lasse Hallström’s The Cider House Rules (1999), with Charlize Theron, Delroy Lindo, Paul Rudd, Michael Caine, Jane Alexander, Kathy Baker, Kieran Culkin, Heavy D, Kate Nelligan, and Erykah Badu; Lee’s Ride with the Devil (1999), with Skeet Ulrich, Jeffrey Wright, Jewel, Simon Baker, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jonathan Brandis, Jim Caviezel, Mark Ruffalo, Celia Weston, Thomas Guiry, and Tom Wilkinson.
Films in the 2000s include Curtis Hanson’s Wonder Boys (2000), with Michael Douglas, Frances McDormand, Katie Holmes, Rip Torn, and Robert Downey Jr.; Don’s Plum (2001), with DiCaprio, Kevin Connolly, Scott Bloom, Jenny Lewis, Amber Benson, Heather McComb, Meadow Sisto, Marissa Ribisi, and Nikki Cox; a voice role in Cats & Dogs (2001), with Jeff Goldblum, Elizabeth Perkins, and Alexander Pollock, with the voices of Alec Baldwin, Sean Hayes, Susan Sarandon, Charlton Heston, Jon Lovitz, Joe Pantoliano, and Michael Clarke Duncan; Seabiscuit (2003), with Jeff Bridges, Cooper, Banks, and Macy; Steven Soderbergh’s The Good German (2006), with George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, and Beau Bridges; and Jim Sheridan’s Brothers (2009), with Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, Sam Shepard, Clifton Collins Jr., and Mare Winningham.
Films in the 2010s include The Details (2012), with Banks, Dennis Haysbert, Ray Liotta, Kerry Washington, and Laura Linney; Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby (2013), with DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Isla Fisher, Jason Clarke, Elizabeth Debicki, and Jack Thompson; Jason Reitman’s Labor Day (2013), with Kate Winslet, Josh Brolin, Gattlin Griffith, and Clark Gregg; Edward Zwick’s Pawn Sacrifice (2015), with Peter Sarsgaard, Liev Schreiber, Michael Stuhlbarg, Lily Rabe, and Robin Weigert; and the animated film The Boss Baby (2017), with the voices of Baldwin, Miles Bakshi, Steve Buscemi, Jimmy Kimmel, and Lisa Kudrow.
TV movies and miniseries include In Spite of Love (1994), with Kate Nelligan, John Heard, Andrea Roth, and Rhea Perlman; A Child’s Cry for Help (1994), with Pam Dawber and Veronica Hamel; Seduced by Madness: The Diane Borchardt Story (1996), with Ann-Margret, Peter Coyote, Leslie Hope, Christian Campbell, Hedy Burress, and Freddy Rodríguez; and The Spoils of Babylon (2014), with Kristen Wiig, Tim Robbins, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Haley Joel Osment, Michael Sheen, and Will Ferrell.
Maguire has also produced Spike Lee’s 25th Hour (2002), with Edward Norton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper, Rosario Dawson, Anna Paquin, and Brian Cox; Country Strong (2011), with Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim McGraw, Garrett Hedlund, and Leighton Meester; Seeking Justice (2011), with Nicolas Cage, January Jones, Harold Perrineau, Jennifer Carpenter, Xander Berkeley, and Guy Pearce; Rock of Ages (2012), with Russell Brand, Baldwin, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Malin Åkerman, Mary J. Blige, Bryan Cranston, and Tom Cruise; Good People (2014), with Franco, Kate Hudson, Omar Sy, Wilkinson, and Sam Spruell; and Z for Zachariah (2015), with Margot Robbie, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Chris Pine.
Produced films in the mid to late 2010s include The 5th Wave (2016), with Chloë Grace Moretz, Nick Robinson, Ron Livingston, Maggie Siff, Alex Roe, Maria Bello, Maika Monroe, and Schreiber; Brittany Runs a Marathon (2019), with Jillian Bell, Michaela Watkins, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Lil Rel Howery, and Micah Stock; and The Best of Enemies (2019), with Taraji P. Henson, Sam Rockwell, Babou Ceesay, Anne Heche, Wes Bentley, Bruce McGill, John Gallagher Jr., and Nick Searcy.
Films produced in the 2020s include Get Duked! (2020), with Samuel Bottomley, Viraj Juneja, Rian Gordon, Lewis Gribben, Eddie Izzard, Kate Dickie, Georgie Glen, and James Cosmo; The Violent Heart (2020), with Jovan Adepo, Grace Van Patten, Lukas Haas, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Cress Williams, Jahi Di’Allo Winston, and Mary J. Blige; and Nobody (2021), with Bob Odenkirk, Connie Nielsen, Aleksei Serebryakov, RZA, Michael Ironside, Colin Salmon, and Christopher Lloyd.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- The Wizard (1989) – directed by Todd Holland – uncredited
- Tales from the Whoop: Hot Rod Brown Class Clown (1990) – directed by Rocco Urbisci – TV movie
- This Boy’s Life (1993) – directed by Michael Caton-Jones
- Revenge of the Red Baron (1994) – directed by Robert Gordon
- In Spite of Love (1994) – directed by David Greene – TV movie
- S.F.W. (1994) – directed by Jefery Levy
- A Child’s Cry for Help (1994) – directed by Sandor Stern – TV movie
- Healer (1994) – directed by John G. Thomas
- Duke of Groove (1995) – directed by Griffin Dunne – short
- Seduced by Madness: The Diane Borchardt Story (1996) – directed by John Patterson – miniseries
- The Ice Storm (1997) – directed by Ang Lee
- Deconstructing Harry (1997) – directed by Woody Allen
- Joyride (1997) – directed by Quinton Peeples
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) – directed by Terry Gilliam
- Pleasantville (1998)* – and directed by Gary Ross
- The Cider House Rules (1999) – directed by Lasse Hallström
- Ride with the Devil (1999) – directed by Ang Lee
- Wonder Boys (2000) – directed by Curtis Hanson
- Don’s Plum (2001) – directed by R.D. Robb
- Cats & Dogs (2001) – directed by Lawrence Guterman
- Spider-Man (2002)* – directed by Sam Raimi
- 25th Hour (2002) – directed by Spike Lee – co-producer only
- Seabiscuit (2003)* – directed by Gary Ross – also executive producer
- Spider-Man 2 (2004)* – directed by Sam Raimi
- The Good German (2006) – directed by Steven Soderbergh
- Spider-Man 3 (2007)* – directed by Sam Raimi
- Tropic Thunder (2008) – directed by Ben Stiller – uncredited cameo as himself
- Beyond All Boundaries (2009) – directed by David Briggs – short
- Brothers (2009) – directed by Jim Sheridan
- Country Strong (2010) – directed by Shana Feste – producer only
- Seeking Justice (2011) – directed by Roger Donaldson – producer only
- Rock of Ages (2012)* – directed by Adam Shankman – co-producer only
- The Details (2012) – directed by Jacob Aaron Estes
- The Great Gatsby (2013) – directed by Baz Luhrmann
- Labor Day (2013) – directed by Jason Reitman
- The Spoils of Babylon (2014) – directed by Matt Piedmont – miniseries
- Good People (2014) – directed by Henrik Ruben Genz – co-producer only
- Pawn Sacrifice (2015) – directed by Edward Zwick – also co-producer
- Z for Zachariah (2015) – directed by Craig Zobel – co-producer only
- The 5th Wave (2016) – directed by J Blakeson – co-producer only
- The Boss Baby (2017) – directed by Tom McGrath
- Brittany Runs a Marathon (2019) – directed by Paul Downs Colaizzo – co-producer only
- The Best of Enemies (2019) – directed by Robin Bissell – co-producer only
- Get Duked! (2020) – directed by Ninian Doff – co-producer only
- The Violent Heart (2021) – directed by Kerem Sanga – co-producer only
- Nobody (2021) – directed by Ilya Naishuller – executive producer only
- Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)* – directed by John Watts
- Babylon (2022) – directed by Damien Chazelle – executive producer only