James David Sharman (born March 12, 1945) is an Australian director and writer for film and stage with more than 70 productions to his credit. He is renowned in Australia for his work as a theatre director from the 1960s to the present, and is best known internationally as the director of the 1973 theatrical hit The Rocky Horror Show, its film adaptation The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), with Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, Richard O’Brien, Patricia Quinn, Little Nell, Jonathan Adams, Peter Hinwood, Meat Loaf, and Charles Gray; and the film’s follow-up, Shock Treatment (1981), with Jessica Harper, Cliff De Young, O’Brien, Quinn, Nell, Ruby Wax, Rik Mayall, Gray, and Barry Humphries.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Arcade (1970) – short
- Roll up (1971) – unfinished documentary
- Shirley Thompson vs. the Aliens (1972) – also co-writer
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) – also co-writer
- Summer of Secrets (1976)
- The Night the Prowler (1978)
- Shock Treatment (1981) – also co-writer
- Andy X (2012) – also co-writer – short