Christopher Robert Evans (born June 13, 1981) is an American actor. He made his film debut in a wildlife educational film, and this was followed by television appearances, such as in the series Opposite Sex in 2000. Afterwards, he starred in several teen films including Not Another Teen Movie (2001) and The Perfect Score (2004), which marked his first of many collaborations with Scarlett Johansson. His first action role was in Cellular (2004), with Jason Statham, Kim Basinger and William H. Macy. He gained further attention for his portrayal of Marvel Comics character Johnny Storm/The Human Torch in Fantastic Four (2005), and its sequel Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007), with Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis, Julian McMahon and Kerry Washington.
Evans made further film appearances, which were adaptations from comic books and graphic novels, voicing Casey Jones in TMNT (2007), playing Jake Jensen in The Losers (2010), with with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana, Idris Elba, Columbus Short, Óscar Jaenada, and Jason Patric; Lucas Lee in Edgar Wright‘s Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010), with Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Ellen Wong, Anna Kendrick, Alison Pill, Aubrey Plaza, Brie Larson, Brandon Routh, and Jason Schwartzman; and Curtis Everett in Bong Joon-ho’s Snowpiercer (2013), with Song Kang-ho, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, Octavia Spencer, Go Ah-sung, John Hurt, and Ed Harris.
He gained worldwide attention for his portrayal of Captain America in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series of films, with credited appearances and cameos in eleven films. His work in the Marvel series established him as one of the highest-paid actors in the world.
In addition to comic book roles, Evans starred in Danny Boyle‘s Sunshine (2007), with Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh, Cliff Curtis, Troy Garity, Hiroyuki Sanada, Benedict Wong, and Chipo Chung; Gifted (2017), with Mckenna Grace, Lindsay Duncan, Jenny Slate and Octavia Spencer; and Rian Johnson‘s Knives Out (2019), with Daniel Craig, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, Lakeith Stanfield, Katherine Langford, Jaeden Martell, and Christopher Plummer.
He also starred in several romantic comedies, including The Nanny Diaries (2007), with Johansson, Laura Linney, and Paul Giamatti; What’s Your Number? (2011), with Anna Farris; and Playing It Cool (2015), the latter of which he also executive produced. Evans made his directorial debut in 2014 with the romantic drama Before We Go, in which he also produced and starred alongside Alice Eve. He made his Broadway debut in the 2018 revival of Kenneth Lonergan’s play Lobby Hero, which earned him a Drama League Award nomination.
Other notable films include Fierce People (2005), with Diane Lane, Donald Sutherland, Anton Yelchin, and Kristen Stewart; London (2005), with Statham, Jessica Biel, Joy Bryant, Kelli Garner, and Isla Fisher; Street Kings (2008), with Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker, Hugh Laurie, Common and The Game; The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond (2008), with Bryce Dallas Howard, Ellen Burstyn, Ann-Margret, Will Patton, Mamie Gummer, and Jessica Collins; and The Iceman (2012), with Shannon, Winona Ryder, James Franco, Ray Liotta, David Schwimmer, Robert Davi, and Danny Abeckaser.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Biodiversity: Wild About Life! (1997) – directed by directed by Linda Harrar
- The Newcomers (2000) – directed by James Allen Bradley
- Not Another Teen Movie (2001)* – directed by Joel Gallen
- Eastwick (2002) – directed by Michael M. Robin – TV movie
- Paper Boy (2003) – directed by Eric Ogden
- The Perfect Score (2004)* – directed by Brian Robbins
- Cellular (2004) – directed by David R. Ellis
- Fierce People (2005) – directed by Griffin Dunne
- London (2005) – directed by Hunter Richards
- Fantastic Four (2005)* – directed by Tim Story
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)* – directed by Tim Story
- TMNT (2007)* – directed by Kevin Munroe
- Sunshine (2007) – directed by Danny Boyle
- The Nanny Diaries (2007) – directed by Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini
- Battle for Terra (2007) – directed by Aristomenis Tsirbas
- Street Kings (2008) – directed by David Ayer
- The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond (2008) – directed by Jodie Markell
- Push (2009) – directed by Paul McGuigan
- The Losers (2010)* – directed by Sylvain White
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)* – directed by Edgar Wright
- Puncture (2011) – directed by Adam & Mark Kassen
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)* – directed by Joe Johnston
- What’s Your Number? (2011)* – directed by Mark Mylod
- The Avengers (2012)* – directed by Joss Whedon
- The Iceman (2012) – directed by Ariel Vromen
- Snowpiercer (2013) – directed by Bong Joon-ho
- Thor: The Dark World (2013)* – directed by Alan Taylor – uncredited cameo
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)* – directed by Anthony & Joe Russo
- Before We Go (2014) – also director, producer
- Playing It Cool (2015) – directed by Justin Reardon – also executive producer
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)* – directed by Joss Whedon
- Ant-Man (2015)* – directed by Peyton Reed
- Captain America: Civil War (2016)* – directed by Anthony & Joe Russo
- Gifted (2017) – directed by Marc Webb
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)* – directed by John Watts
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018)* – directed by Anthony & Joe Russo
- Captain Marvel (2019)* – directed by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck – uncredited cameo
- Avengers: Endgame (2019)* – directed by Anthony & Joe Russo
- Superpower Dogs (2019) – directed by Daniel Ferguson – narrator – documentary
- The Red Sea Diving Resort (2019) – directed by Gideon Raff
- Knives Out (2019)* – directed by Rian Johnson
- The Gray Man (TBA) – directed by Anthony & Joe Russo