Charles Matthew Hunnam (born April 10th, 1980) is an English actor and screenwriter. He is known for his roles as Jackson “Jax” Teller on the FX series Sons of Anarchy (2008–14), with Katey Sagal, Mark Boone Junior, Kim Coates, Tommy Flanagan, Johnny Lewis, Maggie Siff, and Ron Perlman; for which he was twice nominated for the Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Actor; Lloyd Haythe on the Fox series Undeclared (2001–02), with Jay Baruchel, Carla Gallo, Monica Keena, Seth Rogen, Timm Sharp, and Loudon Wainwright; and Nathan Maloney in the Channel 4 drama Queer as Folk (1999–2000), with Aidan Gillen, Craig Kelly, Charlie Hunnam, Denise Black, Andy Devine, and Antony Cotton.
Hunnam made his film Debut in Peter Hewitt’s Whatever Happened to Harold Smith (1999), with Tom Courtenay, Michael Legge, Lulu, Laura Fraser, Stephen Fry, and David Thewlis. Other early roles include Nicholas Nickleby (2002), with Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent, Tom Courtenay, Alan Cumming, Edward Fox, Romola Garai, Anne Hathaway, Barry Humphries, Nathan Lane, Christopher Plummer, Timothy Spall, and Juliet Stevenson; Abandon (2002), with Katie Holmes, Benjamin Bratt, Zooey Deschanel, Gabrielle Union, Gabriel Mann, Melanie Lynskey, Will McCormack, and Fred Ward; Anthony Minghella’s Cold Mountain (2003), with Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renée Zellweger, Eileen Atkins, Brendan Gleeson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman, Jack White, Giovanni Ribisi, Donald Sutherland, and Ray Winstone; Green Street (2005), with Elijah Wood, Claire Forlani, and Leo Gregory; and Alfonso Cuarón’s Children of Men (2006), with Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Clare-Hope Ashitey, Michael Caine, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Danny Huston.
Films in the early 2010s include The Ledge (2011), with Terrence Howard, Liv Tyler, Christopher Gorham, and Patrick Wilson; 3, 2, 1… Frankie Go Boom (2012), with Chris O’Dowd, Lizzy Caplan, Nora Dunn, Whitney Cummings, Perlman, and Chris Noth; Deadfall (2012), with Eric Bana, Olivia Wilde, Kate Mara, Treat Williams, Kris Kristofferson, and Sissy Spacek; Guillermo del Toro‘s Pacific Rim (2013), with Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman, Robert Kazinsky, Max Martini, Perlman, and Mana Ashida; and del Toro’s Crimson Peak (2015), with Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain,, and Jim Beaver.
Films in the late 2010s include James Gray’s Lost City of Z (2017), with Robert Pattinson, Sienna Miller, Tom Holland, Angus Macfadyen, Ian McDiarmid, and Franco Nero; Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017), with Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey, Djimon Hounsou, Aidan Gillen, Jude Law, and Bana; Papillon (2018), with Roland Møller, Rami Malek, Yorick van Wageningen, and Eve Hewson; Sam Taylor-Johnson’s A Million Little Pieces (2019), with Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton, Odessa Young, Giovanni Ribisi, and Juliette Lewis; and Triple Frontier (2019), with Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Garrett Hedlund, and Pedro Pascal.
Films in the early 2020s include Ritchie’s The Gentlemen (2019), with Matthew McConaughey, Henry Golding, Michelle Dockery, Jeremy Strong, Eddie Marsan, Colin Farrell, and Hugh Grant; True History of the Kelly Gang (2020), with George MacKay, Essie Davis, Nicholas Hoult, and Russell Crowe; Jungkeland (2020), with Jack O’Connell, Jessica Barden, Jonathan Majors, John Cullum, and Nick Mullen.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Whatever Happened to Harold Smith? (1999) – directed by Peter Hewitt
- Abandon (2002) – directed by Stephen Gaghan
- Nicholas Nickleby (2002) – directed by Douglas McGrath
- Cold Mountain (2003) – directed by Anthony Minghella
- Green Street (2005) – directed by Lexi Alexander
- Children of Men (2006)* – directed by Alfonso Cuarón
- The Ledge (2011) – directed by Matthew Chapman
- 3,2,1… Frankie Go Boom (2012) – directed by Jordan Roberts
- Deadfall (2012) – directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky
- Pacific Rim (2013)* – directed by Guillermo del Toro
- Crimson Peak (2015)* – directed by Guillermo del Toro
- The Lost City of Z (2017) – directed by James Gray
- King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017) – directed by Guy Ritchie
- Papillon (2018) – directed by Michael Noer
- A Million Little Pieces (2019) – directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson
- Triple Frontier (2019) – directed by J.C. Chandor
- Jungleland (2019) – directed by Max Winkler
- The Gentlemen (2020) – directed by Guy Ritchie
- True of the Kelly Gang (2020) – directed by Justin Kurzel
- Last Looks (TBA) – directed by Tim Kirkby