Hailee Steinfeld (born December 11, 1996), is an American actress, singer, and model. She went on to earn many accolades for her breakthrough role as Mattie Ross in Joel & Ethan Coen‘s drama western film True Grit (2010), with Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, and Barry Pepper; for which she was nominated for BAFTA Award for Best Actress as well as Screen Actors Guild Award and Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, making her the ninth youngest nominee in category.
Steinfeld gained further prominence for her lead roles in Ender’s Game (2013), with Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Viola Davis, Abigail Breslin, and Ben Kingsley; Romeo & Juliet (2013), with Douglas Booth, Damian Lewis, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Ed Westwick, Stellan Skarsgård and Paul Giamatti; Begin Again (2013), with Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, and Catherine Keener; and 3 Days to Kill (2014), with Kevin Costner, Amber Heard, Connie Nielsen, Richard Sammel, and Eriq Ebouaney.
Other notable films include Hateship, Loveship (2013), with Kristen Wiig, Guy Pearce, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Nick Nolte; The Homesman (2014), with with Tommy Lee Jones (who also directed), Hilary Swank, Meryl Streep, Grace Gummer, Miranda Otto, John Lithgow, and James Spader; Then Thousand Saints (2015), with Butterfield, Avan Jogia, Ethan Hawke, Emile Hirsch, Julianne Nicholson, Emily Mortimer, and Nadia Alexander; and Barely Lethal (2015), with Sophie Turner, Jessica Alba, Dove Cameron and Samuel L. Jackson.
She starred as Emily Junk in the Pitch Perfect film series (2015–2017), with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Hana Mae Lee, Alexis Knapp, Ester Dean, Chrissie Fit, Kelley Jakle, Shelley Regner, and Elizabeth Banks; and as Nadine Franklin in The Edge of Seventeen (2016), with Woody Harrelson, Kyra Sedgwick, and Haley Lu Richardson; the latter of which earned her a nomination for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.
Steinfeld voiced the starring role of Gwen Stacy / Spider-Woman in the animated film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), with Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Mahershala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin, Luna Lauren Velez, John Mulaney, Kimiko Glenn, Nicolas Cage, and Liev Schreiber; and starred as Charlie Watson in the action film Bumblebee (2018), contributing to the latter’s soundtrack. Since 2019, she has starred as Emily Dickinson in the Apple TV+ comedy-drama series Dickinson. She will also portray Kate Bishop/Hawkeye in the Disney+ Marvel Cinematic Universe series Hawkeye.
Steinfeld made her breakthrough in music after performing “Flashlight” in Pitch Perfect 2 (2015). She signed with Republic Records soon after and released her debut single, “Love Myself”. This was followed by her debut extended play Haiz (2015). She went on to release a series of singles, including “Starving”, a collaboration with both Grey and Zedd, which peaked at number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and “Let Me Go”, a collaboration with Alesso, Florida Georgia Line and Watt, which peaked at number 14 on the Mainstream Top 40 chart. In May 2020, Steinfeld released her second extended play, Half Written Story, which was supported by the singles “Wrong Direction” and “I Love You’s”.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Heather: A Fairytale (2008) – directed by Vincent Raisa – short
- She’s a Fox (2009) – directed by Cameron Sawyer – short
- True Grit (2010)* – directed by Joel & Ethan Coen
- Without Wings (2010) – directed by Megan Weaver – short
- Summer Camp (2010) – directed by Lev L. Spiro – TV short
- Grand Cru (2010) – directed by Aimee Long – short
- Hateship, Loveship (2013) – directed by Liza Johnson
- Begin Again (2013) – directed by John Carney
- The Magic Bracelet (2013) – directed by Jon Poll – short
- Romeo & Juliet (2013) – directed by Carlo Carlei
- Ender’s Game (2013) – directed by Gavin Hood
- 3 Days to Kill (2014) – directed by McG
- The Homesman (2014) – directed by Tommy Lee Jones
- The Keeping Room (2014) – directed by Daniel Barber
- Ten Thousand Saints (2015) – directed by Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini
- Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) – directed by Elizabeth Banks
- Unity (2015) – directed by Shaun Monson – documentary – narrator
- When Marnie Was There (2015) – directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi – English dub
- Taylor Swift: The 1989 World Tour Live (2015) – directed by Jonas Åkerlund – concert film
- Barely Lethal (2015) – directed by Kyle Newman
- Term Life (2016) – directed by Peter Billingsley
- The Edge of Seventeen (2016) – directed by Kelly Fremon Craig
- Pitch Perfect 3 (2017) – directed by Trish Sie
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)* – directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, & Rodney Rothman
- Bumblebee (2018)* – directed by Travis Knight
- Between Two Ferns: The Movie (2019) – directed by Scott Aukerman – cameo as herself
- Charlie’s Angels (2019) – Elizabeth Banks – cameo
- Untitled Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse sequel (2022) – directed by Joaquim Dos Santos