Tom Tykwer (born 23 May 1965) is a German film director, producer, screenwriter, and composer. He is best known internationally for directing the thriller films Run Lola Run (1998), with Franka Potente and Moritz Bleibtreu; Heaven (2002), with Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi; Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006), with Ben Whishaw, Alan Rickman, Rachel Hurd-Wood, and Dustin Hoffman; and The International (2009), with Clive Owen and Naomi Watts.
Tykwer also collaborated with The Wachowskis as co-writer and co-director for the science fiction epic Cloud Atlas (2012), with with Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Doona Bae, Whishaw, James D’Arcy, Zhou Xun, Keith David, Susan Sarandon, and Hugh Grant; and the Netflix series Sense8 (2015–2018), directing a few episodes. He is also well known as the co-creator of the internationally acclaimed German television series Babylon Berlin.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Friday Afternoon (1986) – director, writer
- Because (1990) – director, writer – aka Epeidi – short
- Epilogue (1992) – director, wrier – aka Epilog – short
- Deadly Maria (1993) – director, writer – aka Die tödliche Maria
- Life is All You Get (1997) – directed by Wolfgang Becker – co-writer – aka Das Leben ist eine Baustelle
- Winter Sleepers (1997) – director, wrier – aka Winterschläfer
- Run Lola Run (1998) – director, writer – aka Lola rennt
- The Princess and the Warrior (2000) – director, writer – aka Der Krieger und die Kaiserin
- Heaven (2002) – director
- True (2004) – director, writer – short
- Paris, je t’aime (2006)- directed with Emmanuel Benbihy, Joel & Ethan Coen, Nobuhiro Suwa, Olivier Assayas, Gus Van Sant, Gurinder Chadha, Frédéric Auburtin & Gérard Depardie, Sylvain Chomet, Vincenzo Natali, Richard LaGravenese, Isabel Coixet Castillo, Christopher Doyle, Alexander Payne, Walter Salles & Daniela Thomas, Alfonso Cuarón, Bruno Podalydès, Oliver Schmitz, & Wes Craven – anthology
- Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006) – director, co-writer
- The International (2009) – director
- Three (2010) – director, writer – aka Drei
- Cloud Atlas (2012) – written & directed with The Wachowskis (as Lana and Andy Wachowski)
- Rosakinder (2012) – directed with Chris Kraus, Axel Ranisch, Robert Thalheim, & Julia von Heinz – TV documentary
- A Hologram for the King (2016) – director, writer