Audrey Justine Tautou (born August 9, 1976) is a French actress. She made her acting debut at 18 on television and her feature film debut in Tonie Marshall’s Venus Beauty Institute (1999), with Nathalie Baye, Bulle Ogier, Samuel Le Bihan, Jacques Bonnaffé, Mathilde Seigner, Robert Hossein, Claire Denis, Micheline Presle, Emmanuelle Riva and Elli Medeiros; for which she received critical acclaim and won the César Award for Most Promising Actress.
Other early films include Serge Meynard’s Pretty Devils (2000), with Olivia Bonamy; Marry Me (2000), with Michèle Laroque, Vincent Pérez, and Predrag ‘Miki’ Manojlovic; The Libertine (2000), with Pérez, Françoise Lépine, Fanny Ardant, Josiane Balasko, Michel Serrault, and Arielle Dombasle; and Happenstance (2000), with Faudel, Eric Savin, Frédéric Bouraly, Françoise Bertin, and Pierre Bellemare.
Tautou achieved international recognition for her lead role in Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s Amélie (2001), with Mathieu Kassovitz, Rufus, Lorella Cravotta, Serge Merlin, Jamel Debbouze, Claire Maurier, Clotilde Mollet, Isabelle Nanty, Dominique Pinon, Artus de Penguern, Yolande Moreau, Urbain Cancelier, and Maurice Bénichou. It was met with critical acclaim and was a major box-office success. Amélie won Best Film at the European Film Awards, four César Awards (including Best Film and Best Director), two BAFTA Awards (including Best Original Screenplay), and was nominated for five Academy Awards.
Other films in the early 2000s include God Is Great and I’m Not (2001), with Edouard Baer; He Loves Me… He Loves Me Not (2002), with Samuel Le Bihan, Isabelle Carré, Clément Sibony, and Sophie Guillemin; Cédric Klapisch’s The Spanish Apartment (2002), with Romain Duris, Judith Godrèche, Cécile de France, Kelly Reilly, Cristina Brondo, Kevin Bishop, Barnaby Metschurat, Federico D’Anna, Iddo Goldberg, and Christian Pagh; Stephen Frears’ Dirty Pretty Things (2002), with Chiwetel Ejiofor, Sergi López, Sophie Okonedo, Benedict Wong, and Zlatko Buric; Claire Devers’ The Lost Marines (2003), with Bernard Giraudeau, Miki Manojlović, Sergio Peris-Mencheta, and Marie Trintignant; Alain Resnais’ Not on the Lips (2003), with Sabine Azéma, Isabelle Nanty, Pierre Arditi, Darry Cowl, Jalil Lespert, Daniel Prévost, and Lambert Wilson; Amos Kollek’s Happy End (2003), with ustin Theroux, Jennifer Tilly, and Laila Robins; and Jeunet’s A Very Long Engagement (2004), with Gaspard Ulliel, Marion Cotillard, Pinon, Chantal Neuwirth, André Dussolier, Ticky Holgado, and Jodie Foster.
Films in the mid to late 2000s include Ron Howard’s The Da Vinci Code (2006), with Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen, Alfred Molina, Jürgen Prochnow, Jean Reno, and Paul Bettany; Pierre Salvadori’s Priceless (2006), with Gad Elmaleh; Claude Berri’s Hunting and Gathering (2007), with Guillaume Canet, Laurent Stocker, Françoise Bertin, and Alain Sachs; and Anne Fontaine’s Coco Before Chanel (2009), with Benoît Poelvoorde, Alessandro Nivola, Marie Gillain, and Emmanuelle Devos.
Films in the early 2010s include Beautiful Lies (2010), with Baye, Sami Bouajila, and Stéphanie Lagarde; Delicacy (2011), with François Damiens, Bruno Todeschini, Mélanie Bernier, oséphine de Meaux, Pio Marmaï, Monique Chaumette, and Ariane Ascaride; Jalil Lespert’s Headwinds (2011), with Benoît Magimel, Carré, Antoine Duléry, Ramzy Bedia, Bouli Lanners, and Marie-Ange Casta; Claude Miller’s Thérèse Desqueyroux (2012), with Gilles Lellouche; and Michel Gondry’s Mood Indigo (2013), with Duris, Elmaleh, Omar Sy, Aïssa Maïga, and Charlotte Le Bon.
Films in the mid to late 2010s include Gondry’s Microbe & Gasoline (2015), with Théophile Baquet and Ange Dargent; the animated film Phantom Boy (2015), with Baer, Jean-Pierre Marielle, Jackie Berroyer, Gaspard Gagnol, and Noa Bernaoui-Savreux; The Odyssey (2016), with Wilson, Pierre Niney, Laurent Lucas, Benjamin Lavernhe, Vincent Heneine, and Thibault de Montalembert; Tran Anh Hung’s Eternity (2016), with Bérénice Bejo, Mélanie Laurent, Jérémie Renier, Pierre Deladonchamps, and Irène Jacob; Open and Night (2017), with Baer (who also directed) and Sabrina Ouazani; Santa & Co. (2017), with Chabat (who also directed), Golshifteh Farahani, Marmaï, and David Marsais; The Trouble With You! (2018), with Adèle Haenel, Marmaï, Damien Bonnard, and Vincent Elbaz; and The Jesus Rolls (2020), with John Turturro (who also directed), Bobby Cannavale, Christopher Walken, John Hamm, Pets Davidson, and Susan Sarandon.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Target Heart (1996) – directed by Laurent Heynemann – TV movie
- The Truth Is a Bad Flaw (1997) – directed by Jean-Paul Salomé – TV movie
- Baby Boom (1998) – directed by Marc Angelo – TV movie
- Technical Chaos (1998) – directed by Laurent Zerah – TV movie
- Casting: Archi-dégueulasse (1998) – directed by Lyèce Boukhitine – short
- Sitting on the Fence (1998) – directed by Lyèce Boukhitine – short
- Venus Beauty Institute (1999) – directed by Tonie Marshall
- Sad to Die (1999) – directed by Alexandre Billon – short
- Pretty Devils (2000) – directed by Serge Meynard
- Marry Me (2000) – directed by Harriet Marin
- The Libertine (2000) – directed by Gabriel Aghion
- Happenstance (2000) – directed by Laurent Firode
- Amélie (2001) – directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- God Is Great and I’m Not (2001) – directed by Pascale Bailly
- He Loves Me… He Loves Me Not (2002) – directed by Lætitia Colombani
- The Spanish Apartment (2002) – directed by Cédric Klapisch
- Dirty Pretty Things (2002) – directed by Stephen Frears
- The Lost Marines (2003) – directed by Claire Devers
- Not on the Lips (2003) – directed by Alain Resnais
- Happy End (2003) – directed by Amos Kollek
- A Very Long Engagement (2004) – directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- Russian Dolls (2005) – directed by Cédric Klapisch
- The Da Vinci Code (2006) – directed by Ron Howard
- Priceless (2006) – directed by Pierre Salvadori
- Hunting and Gathering (2007) – directed by Claude Berri
- Coco Before Chanel (2009) – directed by Anne Fontaine
- Beautiful Lies (2010) – directed by Pierre Salvadori
- Delicacy (2011) – directed by David & Stéphane Foenkinos
- Headwinds (2011) – directed by Jalil Lespert
- Thérèse Desqueyroux (2012) – directed by Claude Miller
- Mood Indigo (2013) – directed by Michel Gondry
- Chinese Puzzle (2013) – directed by Cédric Klapisch
- Microbe & Gasoline (2015) – directed by Michel Gondry
- Phantom Boy (2015) – directed by Jean-Loup Felicioli & Alain Gagnol
- The Odyssey (2016) – directed by Jérôme Salle
- Eternity (2016) – directed by Tran Anh Hung
- Two Snails Are Leaving (2016) – directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet & Romain Segaud – short
- Open at Night (2017) – directed by Édouard Baer
- Santa & Co. (2017) – directed by Alain Chabat
- The Trouble With You! (2018) – directed by Pierre Salvadori
- Love Mama (2019) – directed by Roland Menou – short
- The Jesus Rolls (2020) – directed by John Turturro