Jim Sheridan (born February 6, 1949), is an Irish playwright, screenwriter, director and producer. Between 1989 and 1993, Sheridan directed two critically acclaimed films set in Ireland: My Left Foot (1989), with Daniel Day-Lewis, Brenda Fricker, Ray McAnally, Hugh O’Conor and Fiona Shaw; and In the Name of the Father (1993), with Day-Lewis, Emma Thompson, and Pete Postlethwaite. Both received a combined 13 Academy Award nominations. Sheridan has personally received six Academy Award nominations.
His other known films include The Fields (1990), Richard Harris, John Hurt, Sean Bean, Fricker, Tom Berenger, and the film debut of Brendan Gleeson; the Boxer (1997), with Emily Watson and Brian Cox; and In America (2001), with with Samantha Morton, Paddy Considine, Sarah Bolger, Emma Bolger, and Djimon Hounsou;
His later films include Get Rich of Die Tryin’ (2005), with with Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, Terrence Howard, Bill Duke, and Viola Davis; Brothers (2009), with Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, Sam Shepard, Clifton Collins Jr., and Mare Winningham; Dream House (2011), with Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, and Marton Csokas; and The Secret Scripture (2016), with Vanessa Redgrave, Rooney Mara, Eric Bana, Theo James, Aidan Turner, and Jack Reynor.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- My Left Foot (1989) – director, co-writer
- The Field (1990) – director, writer
- Into the West (1992) – directed by Mike Newell – co-writer
- In the Name of the Father (1993) – director, co-writer
- Some Mother’s Son (1996) – directed by Terry George – co-writer
- The Boxer (1997) – director, co-writer
- Agnes Browne (1999) – directed by Anjelica Huston – producer
- Borstal Boy (2000) – directed by Peter Sheridan – executive producer
- On the Edge (2001) – directed by John Carney – producer
- Bloody Sunday (2002) – directed by Paul Greengrass – executive producer
- In America (2002) – director, co-writer
- Get Rich or Die Tryin’ (2005) – director
- Brothers (2009) – director
- Dream House (2011) – director
- The Secret Scripture (2016) – director, co-writer
- 11th Hour (2017) – director, co-writer – short