Roman François Coppola (born April 22, 1965) is an American filmmaker, screenwriter, producer, entrepreneur. He’s part of the Coppola family of acting and filmmaking, the son of filmmakers Francis Ford Coppola and Eleanor Coppola, older brother of Sofia Coppola, uncle of filmmaker Gia Coppola, nephew of actress Talia Shire, and cousin of actors Nicolas Cage and Jason Schwartzman.
He made his feature directorial debut with CQ (2002), with Jeremy Davies, Angela Lindvall, Élodie Bouchez, Gérard Depardieu, Massimo Ghini, Giancarlo Giannini, John Phillip Law, Schwartzman, Dean Stockwell, and Billy Zane. His second feature was A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III (2013), with Charlie Sheen, Katheryn Winnick, Bill Murray, Schwartzman, Patricia Arquette, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Fabianne Therese.
Coppola has frequently worked with filmmaker Wes Anderson, starting with The Darjeeling Limited (2007), with Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Schwartzman (who also co-wrote), and Anjelica Huston. He and Anderson were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for Moonrise Kingdom (2012), with Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Schwartzman, Bob Balaban, and Harvey Keitel.
He also helped develop the stories for Anderson’s stop motion animated feature Isle of Dogs (2018), with the voices of Bryan Cranston, Koyu Rankin, Edward Norton, Liev Schreiber, Murray, Balaban, Jeff Goldblum, Scarlett Johansson, Kunichi Nomura, Swinton, Ken Watanabe, Akira Ito, Greta Gerwig, Akira Takayama, McDormand, F. Murray Abraham, Courtney B. Vance, Yojiro Noda, Fisher Stevens, Mari Natsuki, Nijiro Murakami, Yoko Ono, Keitel, and Frank Wood; and The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun (2021), with Benicio del Toro, Adrien Brody, Swinton, Léa Seydoux,McDormand, Timothée Chalamet, Lyna Khoudri, Jeffrey Wright, Mathieu Amalric, Stephen Park, Murray, Wilson, Willam Dafoe, Saorise Ronan, Christoph Waltz, and Tony Revolori.
With Schwartzman, Alex Timbers, and Paul Weitz he developed the series Mozart in the Jungle (2014-2018), with Gael García Bernal, Lola Kirke, Malcolm McDowell, Saffron Burrows, Hannah Dunne, Peter Vack, and Bernadette Peters. In 2019, Coppola was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. It won the 2016 Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Rumble Fish (1983) – directed by Francis Ford Coppola – associate producer
- The Spirit of ‘76 (1990) – directed by Lucas Reiner – co-story, executive producer
- CQ (2002) – director, writer
- The Darjeeling Limited (2007) – directed by Wes Anderson – co-writer, producer
- Somewhere (2010) – directed by Sofia Coppola – producer
- Moonrise Kingdom (2012)* – directed by Wes Anderson – co-writer
- Cousin Ben Troop Screening with Jason Schwartzman (2012) – directed by Wes Anderson – co-writer
- A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III (2013) – director, writer, producer
- The Bling Ring (2013) – directed by Sofia Coppola – producer
- Castello Cavalcanti (2013) – directed by Wes Anderson – producer
- On the Road (2013) – directed by Walter Salles – producer
- A Very Murray Christmas (2015) – directed Sofia Coppola – executive producer – TV special
- The Beguiled (2017) – directed by Sofia Coppola – executive producer
- Isle of Dogs (2018)* – directed by Wes Anderson – co-story
- On the Rocks (2020) – directed by Sofia Coppola – executive producer
- The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun (2021)* – directed by Wes Anderson – co-story, executive producer