Isobel Dorothy Powley (born March 7, 1992) is an English actress. The daughter of British actor Mark Powley, Powley was born and raised in London where she was educated at Holland Park School. She began acting as a teenager on television, starring on the CBBC action television series M.I. High (2007 – 2008), the period miniseries Little Dorrit (2008), the crime series Murderland (2009), with Robbie Coltrane and Amanda Hale; and the ITV sitcom Benidorm (2014). She also co-started in the Hallmark Channel movie The Cabin (2011), with Lea Thompson and Steven Brand.
Powley gained critical praise for her portrayal of Princess Margaret in A Royal Night Out (2015), with Sarah Gordon, Jack Reynor, Rupert Everett, and Emily Watson; for which she was nominated for a British Independent Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer, and a sexually confused teenager in the coming-of-age film The Diary of a Teenage Girl (2015), with Kristen Wiig, Alexander Skarsgård, and Christopher Meloni; for which she won the Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actress and the Trophee Chopard at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. The same year she also appeared in the science fiction romantic drama Detour (2015), with Nicholas Hoult, Kristen Stewart, and Guy Pearce.
She has since starred in the films Carrie Pilby (2017), with Nathan Lane, Gabriel Byrne, Jason Ritter, William Moseley, Vanessa Bayer, and Colin O’Donoghue; Mary Shelley (2017), with Elle Fanning, Maisie Williams, Douglas Booth, and Ben Hardy; White Boy Rick (2018), with Richie Merritt, Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Brian Tyree Henry, Rory Cochrane, RJ Cyler, Jonathan Majors, Eddie Marsan, Bruce Dern, and Piper Laurie; Judd Apatow‘s The King of Staten Island (2020), with Pete Davidson, Marisa Tomei, Bill Burr, Maude Apatow, and Steve Buscemi; and on the Apple TV+ drama series The Morning Show (2019–present), with Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Billy Crudup, Mark Duplass, and Steve Carell.
￼Each review will be linked to the title below,
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Murderland (2009) – directed by Catherine Morshead – miniseries, 3 episodes
- Victoria Wood’s Mid Life Christmas (2009) – directed by Tony Dow – TV movie
- The Cabin (2011) – directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith – TV movie
- Side by Side (2013) – directed by Arthur Landon
- The Diary of a Teenage Girl (2015) – directed by Marielle Heller
- A Royal Night Out (2015) – directed by Julian Jarrold
- Equals (2015) – directed by Drake Doremus
- Detour (2016) – directed by Christopher Smith
- Carrie Pilby (2017) – directed by Susan Johnson
- Pipe Dreams (2017) – directed by Christabel Jarrold
- Mary Shelley (2017) – directed by Haifaa al-Mansour
- Wildling (2018) – directed by Fritz Böhm
- White Boy Rick (2018) – directed by Yann Demange
- Informer (2018) – directed by Johnny Campbell – series, 6 episodes
- Ashes in the Snow (2019) – directed by Marius A. Markevicius