Michel Gondry (born May 8, 1963) is a French director, screenwriter, and producer noted for his inventive visual style and distinctive manipulation of mise en scène. He’s well known for his music video collaborations with Daft Punk, Donald Fagen, Radiohead, Björk, Beck, The Chemical Brothers, Kylie Minogue, IDLES, and The White Stripes. He made his feature debut with Human Nature (2001), with Tim Robbins, Rhys Ifans, Miranda Otto, Patricia Arquette, Rosie Perez, and Peter Dinklage.
Gondry won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay as one of the writers (with Charlie Kaufman and Pierre Bismuth) for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), with Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, and Tom Wilkinson; which he also directed. Other films in the 2000s include other films include The Science of Sleep (2006), with Gael García Bernal, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Miou-Miou, and Alain Chabat; and Be Kind Rewind (2008), with Jack Black, Mos Def, Melonie Diaz, Danny Glover, Mia Farrow and Sigourney Weaver;
Films in the 2010s include include The Green Hornet (2011), with Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Christoph Waltz, Edward James Olmos, David Harbour, Wilkinson, and Cameron Diaz; Mood Indigo (2013), with Romain Duris, Audrey Tautou, Gad Elmaleh, Omar Sy, Aïssa Maïga, and Charlotte Le Bon; Microbe & Gasoline (2015), with Ange Dargent, Théophile Baquet, Diane Besnier, and Tautou.
Each review will be linked to the title below.
(*seen originally in theaters)
(**seen rereleased in theaters)
- Human Nature (2001) – written by Charlie Kaufman
- Pecan Pie (2003) – also writer – short
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) – also co-story
- Dave Chappelle’s Block Party (2005) – documentary
- The Science of Sleep (2006) – also writer
- Nespresso… What Else? (2006) – short
- Be Kind Rewind (2008) – also writer
- Tokyo (2008) – directed with Leos Carax & Bong Joon-ho – also writer – anthology
- The Thorn in the Heart (2009) – documentary
- The Green Hornet (2011)*
- The We and the I (2012) – also co-writer
- Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy? (2013) – also writer, animator – documentary
- Mood Indigo (2013)
- Microbe & Gasoline (2015) – also writer